Flow of forum responsibility through batches

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flow of forum responsibility through batches

Post by BIT0104-ANIK on Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Well, it's been a while since our forum was founded by our founder(s). So many users have joined since. It's really being a good ground for IIT students and other IT people. It's the highest ranking educational forum in forumsmotion ranking.

Though we are being helped and benefited regularly by the forum members, it's importance in our IIT life is really realized when we face exam. Friends share helping links, documents, solutions of critical problem in this forum. It's true that it could be done by email, or other ways, it could never be such coordinated and widespread as it is in this forum.

To keep the forum running flawlessly, the responsible people must accomplish some tasks. So far, our loving founder and the moderators are doing it with their earnest dedication. But as always, earth spins, time passes, we can't be here forever. New must take place of the old.

So how this flow of responsibility would be maintained? In this post i'm trying to answer it. Any suggestion will be welcomed.

So, we are building a responsibility hierarchy here.

There would be 3 main ranks, namely, i) moderator, ii) admin, iii) advisor.
Each one's role and selection process is described below.

i) Moderator:
Would be selected from the 1st year batch when they would be in the 2nd year. Students from the first year would be observed by the 2nd year moderators. Then those who are most spontaneous to help their friends and active in the forum would be selected as moderators.

ii) Admin:
From the moderators, after careful observation, the advisor would select one member as Admin. Admin would have the absolute power and officially would be the top ranked in forum responsibility hierarchy. If there are more than one capable candidate, a vote would be arranged. The moderator with the most vote would be selected as admin by the advisor. But, if there is any extreme situation, the advisor may ignore the voting result and appoint at his will.

iii) Advisor:
The admin would gradually be the advisor in the 4th year.

*Responsibilities rank-wise:

i) moderators: Their main responsibility is to keep the forum alive. Inspire the members, maintain the forum rules, maintain communication.

ii) Admin: His main responsibility is to select and support the moderators in all areas. Normally, his decision is final. In extreme cases, he may seek help to the advisor.

iii) Advisor: Normally he/she won't interfere in the admin decision, but if there is a potentially disastrous situation for the forum, she may interfere and give the final decision.

(After the users comments, it would be moved to the noticeboard. Moderators are requested to do this.)

Jogoter sokol prani.. shukhi hok.

BIT0104-ANIK
Administrator
Administrator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

View user profile http://anikstech.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flow of forum responsibility through batches

Post by BIT0122-Amit on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:11 pm

Lets look at the time line.

According to the primary idea,

1st year- Activity at forum
2nd year- Moderator
3rd year- Admin.(I am going to assume that because of the part "From the moderators, after careful observation". Observation needs time.)
4th year- Advisory.

There is seriously something wrong. How?

1st year students are not going to be active in forum unless they encourage themselves. We tried encouraging our juniors. We failed. Lets face it.

2nd year student as official moderator is OK, but 3rd year as admin? definitely not ok. It takes more than 6 months just to know exactly how is everything going on around. And it takes lots of time to understand the trend of forum as Admin. If someone is appointed as admin on 3rd year, when is he going to learn? When is he going to do internship?

We need to understand that students from first semester needs to learn to use the forum.

Students from first year being observed by moderators to see who is helpful?

We need to encourage the juniors to use our forum more and more. After a handful becomes acquainted with the forum i.e. how to use, how to use various functionality, then they would be able to participate even more.

Here is my suggestion. Pick a handful students as apprentice moderators on their first semester. Based on what, right? Well, they are going to arrange a movie festival, that is a good place to start. Also, our followers know a lot about their followers. They can recommend students as assistant moderators. The role of the assistant moderators can be mainly divided to two parts. One is to learn the responsibilities of moderators. The other is to encourage and teach his classmates about forum.

After that, based on their performance, some of them would become official moderators. Some would become class moderators.

Some of us will raise the point that the first semester students are not capable. They are too young. That's not any issue at all! Remember what we were at that time? They are no different. All they need to do is to learn while doing various tasks. We didn't do that for the 2nd batch. And look at their numbers.

Here is my proposal:

1st semester: apprentice moderators. Someone who will learn the usability of forum, will teach and encourage his classmates to use it.

2nd semester: Make moderators of various sections.

3rd semester: Global Moderators and Apprentice Admins.

4th semester: Admins. Yes. Not one. I am suggesting two admins. I performed as an Admin for... ahem.. well since this forum began. And I know how much time consuming it can be.

5th semester: Admins and moderators will perform all their things with all their glory. And by the end of 5th semester, they will give up their role as moderators and admins to the junior ones, and will claim advisor rank. of course, before that, they will appoint new admin.

7th and 8th semester(and maybe even later): Advisor.

|About me|My Blog|

BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

View user profile http://iitdu.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0104-ANIK on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 pm

Thanks for your important suggestion. Just a little problem, if the moderators and admins give up their responsibility in the 5th semester, then where the new admins and moderators would seek for help? People just left responsibility? Yes, of course they can help while they are not in IIT, but they should be in some position at this forum, means, the help should be official. Admins doesn't have much to do, moderators can be changed this time, not admins. Because they would be trained for 6 months, at least their working period should be 1 year. I think you are worried that during the internship the participation would be reduced. It's true, i believe the participation would be just enough to keep the forum going.

2 admins, not bad, in this case there would be 2 advisors, not bad either.

Jogoter sokol prani.. shukhi hok.

BIT0104-ANIK
Administrator
Administrator

Course(s) :
  • BIT

View user profile http://anikstech.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:50 pm

That's why they will be trained from 3rd semester! 3rd semester(as apprentice)+4th semester, don't you think it is enough for them to learn almost everything?

Wait, I think I misunderstood you, or you misunderstood me Neutral

Their working period as admin(or global mods) is 1 year Neutral

They will perform as admin till the end of 5th semester. Neutral That's 6 months as apprentice, and 1 year as admin.

Now, an admin just do not maintain the forum's back end. His responsibility is also to check the activity of moderators, the possible statistics etc etc. As your proposal states, the reduced participation should be enough. But I don't think it would be enough to check the log of each and every moderators and monitor them. We need someone who would be available whenever necessary should the situation arise.

|About me|My Blog|

BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

View user profile http://iitdu.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:20 pm

Sponsored content