Masters program for out BIT students aat IIT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Masters program for out BIT students aat IIT

Post by S M Khaled on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:39 am

I sent the following mail to your teachers. Forwarding the same to you, so that you know about the development of the issue.

I would much appreciate if you share your ideas/realizations about the matter in this chain as comments.

Thanks.

-k

=============

Dear Colleagues:

Our 1st batch BIT is doing their 3rd year, and I think its a perfect time to think of the MIT curriculum for them. From my experience in this part of the world, I think it should be a 1.5 or 2 year MS with one (1) full year concentrating on the thesis. There should be around 5-6 course works. There should not be any industrial attachment with the MIT program for BIT, since they are doing industry attachment in their undergrad. They can do the first semester (first and second semester) coursework, than research only in the later 2 semesters.

Concerning the coursework, I think if we give 5/6 courses to them - two (2) can be compulsory and the other 3/4 can be elective (although i know elective courses does not make a sense in DU). However, if courses are elective and we have a big list of elective courses, in that case we can offer these 3/4 courses based on the teaching competence we have in house at that moment... like if Shoaib bhai is in there we can offer image processing or computer vision, if Sohel bhai is there we offer the course on machine learning, if Sakib bhai is in IIT than we offer advanced networks, or network security is Shafi bhai is there .... some how like this... thus if we have a big list of courses we can offer 3/4 from them and these courses should be taking them towards their thesis based on what field they like amongst these courses or other fields...

What I feel about the compulsory courses is that one of the two should be Advanced Algorithms, that is taught in almost all the universities in graduate programs (regardless of what the research area is) throughout north american and european continent. The second compulsory course to me can be Graph Theory. I am sure these two are the courses which has the highest impacts on whatever CS/IT/SE field we would like to do research (ranging from image processing, to networks, to machine learning, to natural language processing, to optimization, ....).

I am just sharing my Ideas with you. Of course there is every scope of disagreement and discussion, and I would much appreciate if you would kindly start replying on this mail chain with "Reply to All" and start sharing your ideas.

Thanks and regards.

Khaled, Shah Mostafa
Graduate Student and Research Assistant
Optimization Research Group
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Room: A528, University Hall
University of Lethbrige
Alberta, Canada

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Masters program for out BIT students aat IIT

Post by S M Khaled on Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:59 am

lets post the replies from teachers as 0f March-01-2011:

Excellent initiative, Khaled bhai. Wherever you are staying, your thoughts and suggestions on IIT are always more than welcome.
In accordance with your suggestions, I propose a 3-semester (15 to 18 months) MS program with the following structure:

Semester 1: 3/4 common courses
Semester 2: 2/3 optional courses + start of thesis
Semester 3: Only thesis

I agree with Khaled bhai about having Advanced Algorithm and Graph theory as common courses. I also feel everyone should have a course on Machine Learning / Data mining since the use of these techniques are becoming pervasive in all sectors of CS/IT. I also think there should be a research methodology course for everyone. As for the optional courses, they will be offered keeping in mind the students' as well as the teachers' fields of research. In Semester 2, the student will take only those courses that are relevant to his/her thesis.

We should also bear in mind that our students will start looking for jobs as soon as they finish undergrad. If the MS program is too long or heavy, it'll discourage them to pursue their masters. On the other hand too short/light a program will mean that we have to compromise our quality. So a trade-off must be made. I think the 3 semester approach with only one semester of full course-work can be the remedy. Looking forward to feedback from others.

Best regards,
Kabir

thanks, kabir, for the mail. my proposal was essentially that a student has to do 5/6 courses for his MS. We keep two (2) of these fixed (AA, GT), and there can be a big list of optional courses. IIT will offer a 5-6 course set including the fixed ones to a batch, the rest four offering will depend on the competence available at IIT premises during that time. Student will have no option but to go with the set of courses offered. So for students all the courses will be common. We cannot make an open credit system because we are always (if the thing hasn't been changed yet) in short of number of teaching competencies at IIT.

we will encourage our kids to do jobs, of course. but masters will be an open choice for them who like to pursue higher education. lets not make it something easily achievable. if anyone can pursue his/her MS with job, thats fine. He just have to show up in the classes (which we can of course consider to fit in 1 semester + one saturday class in the next semester). So he cannot do jobs for the first semester of his MS for course works - 6 months (one semester) not doing job for MS should not be a big deal. After 6 months he can do any job, and do his research under his supervisor upon some agreed meeting times (with the exception that he might have to do one class on saturday).

personally i would like most of our graduates to pursue MS outside Bangladesh as it is in the case of BUET. we should encourage them to prepare for GRE as it is in the culture at BUET. if our students cannot (or should i say do not) go to US/UK/Canada/AUS/EU/japan./... and stay do MS with us, I dont think that is a good indication about the quality of education we are providing (this very personal opinion). so lets not encourage them to do MS in IIT, but make provision for a very good quality masters, the choice is theirs'....

I agree with you on research methodology course and its importance, however, if we make it COMPULSORY in that case we MUST make sure that we have good competence to teach this all the year round. rather if we keep it in the elective list and try to offer it EVERY YEAR, thisgs will be better manageable. and who knows after few years you might consider teaching something to the MS students which you will then feel more important than research methodology/other courses.. so i guess better to keep most of the things as optional and offer the most important/most suitable ones from that list of electives. AA and GT is very common and many of us can teach these courses, so you are more likely to never run to a danger of finding someone confident/liking of teaching these. I argued on these since I found these two most impactful for research on any field whatsoever.

keep thinking and posting.

-khaled bhai

I am not talking about the courses at this moment, but giving you a thought to ponder - how about having two options to persue the degree, Full Time and Part Time. Say, to complete the degree a student has to finish total 54 credits. A full time student will take 18 credits per semester whilst a part time student will take half of that (09 credits). Even a student can convert his/her studentship from full time to part time and vise versa.

Well, due to limited resourses, we can impose the coursework part as mandatory Full time studentship (may be one semester only) and the rest is at student's will.

In either cases, the number of international publications is the criteria to ask for a thesis defense. If a student fails to publish in due course, he/she may ask for extension, ofcourse with Semester and Credit fees.

Keep posting.
--
Dr. Kazi Muheymin Sakib

sakib bhai, i broadly agree with you (3 credits x 6 courses) or (4 credits x 3 courses + 3 credits x 2 courses) = 18 credit coursework sounds great. and there can be 36 credits of thesis work. the matter of full time/part time can also be done as you said.

i know there are places where international publications are criteria for defense, but i am not convinced its a good way. these kind of pressure might to lead to junk publications from the students, and the tendency to achieve results (even if the results are engineered) might limit their free will to study his/her research area properly. better is that there should be a 3 member committee for every research groups (like one for network, one for image, ... some basic areas), if the committee accepts the research work than its fine... and there should not be any grade in thesis it should be only accepted/accepted with revisions/rejected....

thanks for your valuable comments, i am sure you are one of the best hands to pilot this issue successfully like you did for BIT.

keep posting.

haven't received anything from raju/sohel/shafi bhai or seniors yet. :-(

-khaled

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi All,

I am actually following you. I need to summarize all you have posted already. One thing I wanna say that there should be no compromise between jobs and study. Its students' choice not us. We wanna think about master course only. (Kabir)

Well, there could be few courses mandatory. This usually happens. AA and GT is good choice. But in most foreign universities supervisor decides which courses a student needs to complete. In that case no mandatory course. [Khaled]

Why MS should be 1.5 yrs. If you wanna follow others then make it 2 years. Divide your students into two groups MS by coursework and MS by research. For coursework minor thesis or internship could be good options. For MS by research SCI indexed publication could be criteria [I do agree with Sakib Vi and for Khaled ya its time to make research groups in IIT for conducting good research.]

From my point of view MS duration should be 2 years [No discussion about it cause its a standard everywhere. 1 years coursework is Graduate certificate now . What is then 1.5 years? I don't know too.]

Ya, its better to do jobs or go outside to do Masters. It does not mean we cant provide good standard for MS. We can if we wish and we want it. But don't mix it with our MS course. May be we are also mixing it whom we can pick as our upcoming colleagues. I think whoever will do best (DU or foreign universities) will be faculty in IIT.

These are my personal opinions too. Keep posting. Cause its crucial for IIT. Thanks Khaled for raising this. Think about our course and our standard. We also need to make masters open, not only for IITians and International students too.

Regards
Saiful

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi Sohel bhai:

I broadly agree with you on the practice of foreign universities, however, in IIT because of the limitation with number of teachers I doubt whether ewe really can afford to avail the luxury of making it like an MS where students will do only the courses that his supervisor proposes. rather keeping in view that we have shortage of teaching stuff, i proposed to have the two very significant and impactful courses as fixed and the rest of the courses will be elective (IIT will offer 3/4 from those courses based on its the then situation).

MS time length should not be measured by time, rather it should be by credits, as sakib bhai said. But the general case would be 1 semester of coursework (full time) + 2 semester of research (at least), might be that in the second semester student might have to do 1 course. in this meaning a 1.5 year MS is fine. if some student cannot finish research by 2 semester , he can take extensions up to some limit. (taking extensions doesn't seem to be a good idea though)

there should be no provision of thesis group/lab group. no divisioning of the students. if someone likes to do a masters after his undergraduate at IIT, it has to be a mix of course works and RESEARCH. - no MS without research. (my personal strong opinion) And my experience of MS here says that course works at graduate level is way different than those of undergraduate, so there must be some course works.

i dont know whether the seniors will agree with the idea of making the masters program open for all (as it is in case of IBA), but I strongly feel that it will be a very good approach.

concerning the matter of publication as a passing criteria, I dont think it is a good idea - even though sakib bhai and you have told it important. the passing should be dependent on the concerned committee of a thesis. and there should preferably no grade on the thesis except 'accepted'/'accepted with revisions'/'not accepted'/...

thanks for the comments.

yet to listen form shafi bhai/raju bhai/shoyeb bhai/nannu bhau/shumel bhai/mahmuda apa and the seniors... :-) Is all IIT working, or can someone add their emails in thsi chain so that they can participate?

BR///khaled

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:51 pm

Dear Saiful,

realistically, 2 years extensive research in a BD university (even in DU or BUET), at this moment may not be that much lucrative (that's my point of view). Instead, how about only specify the number of credits (say 54 credits) that a student needs to accomplish plus passing criteria (for example at least one SCI journal, of course funded by IIT if necessary). And we will give our students a valid time period say 5 years, and its upto the student then how long it takes to meet all the criteria.

In this case, the courses should be designed as such that a regular and enthusiastic student at least need to spend 1.5 years, however, within 2 years it is very much gettable.
I am just throwing another towel in the bowl.

Dr. Kazi Muheymin Sakib

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi All,

Khaled, I believe that evaluation of theses by (a distinguished) committees would not be effective rather it would be chaotic and unmanageable (not authentic as well in DU). Third party solution is not that bad as Malaysian Universities are following that. I don't think every student needs to do research. Rather they could do minor thesis and extra coursework. Better fix min credits to pass and let every students to meet the credits. Who wants to do research assign more credits for it.

Sakib vi, IIT does not need to finance SCI indexed journals as most of the SCI indexed journals cost nothing.

Only SCI indexed journals should be used to evaluate ourselves too Razz

Cheers
Saiful

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 am

Hi Everyone

First of all I would like to thank Khaled to raise such an important issue to discuss among ourselves which indicates his devotion and feeling for IIT.

The points that showed up so far are;
1. 3-semester (15 to 18 months) MS program, AA and GT as two of the mandatory courses. A list of Elective courses is also available.
2. MS program composed of two years and research is a must.
3. Part time facility and courses to be chosen by the supervisor.
4. International publication as the standard for the acceptance of thesis.
5. The program should comprise the courses that can be meet up by the resources available to IIT at present.

I personally think that we should first understand our objectives regarding MIT and then set other procedures and use every tool to materialize that.

First of all, I would like to know what should be the main theme of the MIT degree (Research or Market based taught, Software Engineering or Computer Science ), what extra features would MIT program offer compared to BIT, How a student would be benefited by this program when he has an opportunity to be enrolled as PhD student directly at a foreign university after completing BSc.

It would be great if we could share the views and opinions of our senior colleagues.

We will offer MIT program and that would be world class standard inshallah. I would definitely not like to see that frustrating repetition of MS program that I experienced in Computer Science Department.

Regards

Md. Golam Murshed

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:56 am

স্যারতো দেখি ফাটায়ে দিচ্ছেন!! আমার মতামতটাও দিবো। কোন চিন্তা নাইVery Happy

|About me|My Blog|

BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

View user profile http://iitdu.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 am

Hi Everyone,

It is a great opportunity for me to go through all the e-mails those posted here.
Great!!!
Thanks all the colleagues who posted their opinions here.

Graduate education is distinct from the undergraduate experience in that it represents a leap to a higher level of knowledge. While the undergraduate is a generalist and takes courses across a range of disciplines. All over the world, most graduate education is about specialization and research. The curricula for master’s degrees often include research requirements as well.

The Master of Information Technology (MIT) program can prepare students for work in the information technology industry at the highest levels( How about BIT!/ Does BIT provide a solid foundation for students who want to develop their career in the broad field of computing!)as well as MIT can be a broad, flexible technical information technology program for students( How about BIT?) or only specializations should be available (Data Management, Distributed and mobile systems, Intelligent systems, Internet and web application development, Network computing, Security and Software engineering etc)(Does it Provide an introduction to research skills in a selected area and improve computer related oral and written communication skills etc... ). Though our BIT is more focused on software engineering ( is it specialized/ general!).

Again few things need to clear.

What were the objectives of BIT program? Did we meet those or were there any problems to meet those objectives?

What should be the basic objectives of MIT program( Do we understand those objectives?)? How it is link with the objectives of BIT program?

Is the link necessary?

Another observation: The most important factor in determining the quality of a program is the quality and specific interests of the faculty.

Thanks...

--
Dr. MD. MAHBUBUL ALAM JOARDER

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Dear all,

Every educational institute/department a.k.a University must have their own philosophy. And those philosophy must have come from the faculty members. However, since we were (still are) new, we did not bother about the objectives of our institute. It is my confession, that we started our BIT program only to survive ourselves. Before that IIT was known for some different causes, but now we can say that IIT is also known for its academic activities, which gives us a life line for our faculty members.

Yes, we can have our mistakes, and there is always a time to correction, that I firmly believe. If we look at our course structure, we can conclude that the aim of this course is to produce software engineers. There are lots of institutions who are producing software engineers, so what's new actually? Khaled (and the BIT syllabus committee) inserted a moto in us that IIT will produce EXCELLENT software engineering PROFESSIONALs through RESPECT. But this objective will only be fulfilled if we really understand what RESPECT is, how PROFESSIONALISM will achieve and what is the definition of EXCELLENCE?

According to Joarder Sir, in short, Respect is the ability to acknowledge and accept other people's views, Professionalism is, in short, workability as a team member under strict time constraints and strong QoS. Finally, Excellence will be achieved through Respect and Professionalism. (Boss, correct me if I am wrong).

So, what is the responsibility of a Syllabus Committee to profess the objective? A syllabus committee can introduce courses and rules and regulations by which students can reach the objective, it is true, however, it will only give you the structure. It is the duty of the executive body to implement the structure properly, otherwise, no matter how good the Syllabus book is, it is in vein.

I think the Same objective will still be persisted for MIT (IIT will produce EXCELLENT software engineering PROFESSIONALs through RESPECT.)

So, from this discussion, I (and again I) can summarize that - the MIT curriculum should also focus on Software Engineering at this moment, and of course with advanced learning options. To do other staff, I think CSEDU is there.
If you agree, we need to put a boundary to IT, that is, what are the courses, researches should be there to complement Software Engineering. You can say, DBMS, Networking, Programming everything is part of the IT or soft engineering, but I think, we need to dig more to identify the appropriate courses/researches to achieve our moto.

Sorry for the pretty big email. I do not know, how many of you will read the whole, but your views will really be appreciated.

--
Dr. Kazi Muheymin Sakib

Sakib vi,

I truly appreciate your confession regrading the BIT syllabus committee. I think your email will help us a lot how we can think about ourselves and IIT.

I also agree that a good syllabus and moto will not put ourselves in the acme rather its our hard work. I also think we should narrowed down our area and no doubt it should be Soft Eng.

By the way, I think IIT lacks of faculties experienced in Soft Eng area. Still we can think of it.

Regards
Saiful

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Hello all:

I really appreciate that sakib bhai came up with answers to some of the questions raised. Generally speaking, we don't like to answer questions as much as we like to raise. I was little worried in my inner heart whether this discussion is going to be over in a context where no one is coming up with answers to the questions raised. Thanks to sakib bhai that he started answering, and injecting life to the discussion again. I thought of writing something in answer to the questions raised, but was (and still unfortunately is) in shortage of time to write - I know I have to write a lot to explain those things.

Thanks for mentioning that I tried (with the best of my ability) to hammer "Professionalism, Excellence, Respect" into the minds of our BIT boys and girls as the 'core business values and behaviors at IIT'. Concerning the question on the definition of 'excellence', I want to re-utter the same words I used to say to my students "lets suppose you do a work with quality x today, to ensure excellence you should try to push your roof higher everyday, so that you can do the same thing you can do the same work tomorrow with quality x+1, x+2 the day after tomorrow, thus PUSH YOUR LIMITS everyday, and SKY IS THE LIMIT for excellence", I am sure this is the most widely communicated explanation of 'excellence' amongst our BIT students. The core values and behaviors that has been mentioned is expected to cover every aspect of life of a IIT graduate, also covering (however not limited to) their software engineering practice.

To the best of my understanding the objective of an undergraduate program is to make the students learn the basics of that domain so that they are familiar with the practices done in the field. When it comes to a so called 'engineering undergraduate program', I think students should learn 'how things work' and 'how to use them to solve useful problems' at the undergraduate level. they should also be able to master the common engineering tools and processes in this phase. From another point of view undergraduate level education should ensure that a student has developed the skills of formally presenting knowledge of that domain (both in written and verbal forms), and formally arguing on the issues of that domain.

I am myself new in a graduate school, and we have colleagues who spent many years in graduate schools as MS/PhD students I am sure they can tell better about the objectives of graduate studies. But from my this short experience in Canada what I can say about the graduate studies is that - most probably the objective to train and develop an analytical mind to 'ask questions' and 'find answers' to 'why the things work?' and 'can it not be better than how it is working?'. What i am trying to mean is essentially - graduate level education should make a student learn to take an analytical look at the things he learned in his undergraduate, to have some deep understanding of them, and thereby make him capable to solve problems of practical interest. The same, should go with IIT and its new Masters program.

How BIT program is doing, what were the expectations and objectives, how well we are being able to implement it, is really something important to be critically analyzed, I agree with Joarder sir. The answers are both positive (more) and negative (less). But i doubt it is too early to judge the success or failure of this program. Personally what I can say is I tried to do the best teaching in the 3 courses I taught BIT students, and did all the best I could in my ability as a committee member. I am sure all of our colleagues are capable enough to handle BIT is a way so that we can be example in DU, just that we have to fix the small issues that we make, which we can solve very easily if we sincerely want.

To the question raised by Morshed bhai (and may be Sohel bhai) on whether it should be a masters "by research / by course", or whether it should be "research / market" focused masters, my personal opinion is to make it a "mixed mode masters" that has some courses and research. Our BIT program is more a market focussed program, let the masters for these kids be a research and analysis experience, that can effectively help students mature for their higher education. I am pretty confident those of our students who like to make their life at industry can do it straight after their BIT, no need for masters, a MBA could be the better preference for some of them to perform good in the management positions later. Masters should be for those only who are strongly motivated for research. Doing a MS for getting a certificate only, which is the case for many of DU departments and students, is a practice we should try to discontinue amongst IIT students to the best of our ability.

Concerning the issue of what should the research focus of IIT MIT program we are thinking about, I guess its fair to think that Soft Engg. will be the core focus. However, I don't want to emphasize on it, since to my understanding in research/analysis level its almost impossible to draw a clear line between IT/CS/CE/SE. I try to give an example here. Networking can be considered to be a issue of EEE or CSE, however consider a problem of "optimally positioning some wireless access points over a wide area to support some client base with ensuring some defined QoS, given a particular set of these access points are connected to a wired broadband network. The access points will interconnect between themselves and thereby connect to the broadband infrastructure, and thereby will provide Internet connectivity to the client base. We have to minimize the number of access points and ensure the routing in a way that the QoS can be ensured by load balancing amongst the mentioned nodes". Although network is issue of CSE and EEE, such a problem I am mentioning is issue of Optimization - that is more a mathematics issue than CS/CE/EEE. Optimization techniques are more used in Economics, Finance and Industrial Engineering than any other field. But this since is a computational problem is interesting for math, CS and software researchers. Another example, routers are electronic equipments (connecting to EEE), but inside that run microprocessors (CE), on which software run (CS/SE), and to enhance the performance of these software running inside routers techniques of "code optimization" are used, which essentially is field of software engineering. I am saying these things to humbly disagree with Sakib and Sohel bhai on the point that "I (and again I) can summarize that - the MIT curriculum should also focus on Software Engineering at this moment, and of course with advanced learning options. To do other staff, I think CSEDU is there.". What I want to say is that in research level problems are so interleaved that you better not make your focus very limited, even if possible make it as broad as possible. Masters in IIT, since I dream to be a masters focused to do research, why dont we consider making something so that our students becomes capable of handling open research problems (which are in the cross conjuncture of CS/IT/SE), this is why I proposed AA and GT to be the courses. I am sure these are the courses that will enable them to play with practical problems of IT/CS/SE, etc.

I know I test patience of people, at times, when I write. I express my gratitude to the people who read this mail up to this point, for the patient reading. And the long it is, the more mistakes, please consider overlooking those. I promise next time I will try to be shorter, keep posting.

Thanks and regards.

Khaled

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BIT0122-Amit on Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Reading all this things shows that our faculty members are concerned about the soon to come (and perhaps improved ) MIT program.

And these things make me worry about some issues of BIT program as well.

But that's not related to this topic, so I better avoid it.

To actively participate in this discussion, I(and other BIT members)need further knowledge we do not have presently.

Among this myriad of opinions, I am having many thoughts, but these are all sort of mixed up. One particular thing though.

Syllabus of MIT is related to BIT Syllabus(as the topic title says, it is for BIT students). So, it would be better if the MIT syllabus somehow complements/enhances the BIT syllabus. For example, in this present era, web tech is probably the most used technology. New concepts and ideas are emerging everyday, behind which web technology is playing a crucial role. Now, about the contents of web technology, we are only getting the basic of basics. With that basic, we can not expect to "build software". But if this situation continues, maybe we should introduce advanced courses of web tech. Of course, that should be done IF the content do not change(I hope they do!)

Also, about practical problems related to routing, networking, embedded systems. We are talking about MIT, we are talking about international universities. But before we follow their lead about courses, we should look at our own institute. It is my personal opinion that these types of education needs practical demonstrations, as well as proper instruments.

Can IIT facilitate these?

|About me|My Blog|

BIT0122-Amit
Founder
Founder

Course(s) :
  • BIT

Blood Group : O+

View user profile http://iitdu.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 am

14. Dear All:

First of all, I am so happy that Khaled was in shortage of time and thats why he was able to write only 8 paragraphs . Joking...and definitely, I am going to write 8 paragraphs as well.

To be honest, every time when I think about the issue, specially the duration and objective of MIT program, I find myself extremely confused. But, after the raise of it, now at least I know that this is so an important issue to us that we need to think about it right now. Otherwise, it will be too late. Is it possible to make a committee to analyse the facts and fictions, the rules of the university and to gather the opinion from all perspectives? I strongly feel that this is the time.

For the duration, we can not implement all of the features of western countries. we have to look into the socio-economic condition of our own country. In my personal opinion, I am not interested to extend the duration, one year is fine with me. To be realistic, it is hard to provide world class research from Bangladesh. If we think we can do that, I world rather propose to work with M.Phil and Ph.D students. In MS, we will just introduce students about what the research is and how to do it. We will expect students to submit papers somewhere, but will not wait for the acceptance of those papers.

Defining goal is so important as Joarder Sir said, otherwise we will not be able to make a difference from others. Sakib bhai explained very well that what our current condition and our mind set are. So, we can review ourselves on the basis of Sakib bhai's illustration and If we are not on right tracks, we need to discuss and recalculate our tracks. Special thanks to Khaled for raising such an important issue and providing the ground of thoughts.

Finally I would like to say, may be our opinion varies, may be at the end I might find that everything that has been implemented doesn't reflect my opinion at all, even then, I would request earnestly to all to accept the combined decision that has been taken after analyzing all of our opinions. And I am sure, that is how we can make a difference.

IIT rocks and Cheers...!!!

Mainul Raju

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:18 am

@Amit: You are right. Consider a problem - consider the web pages in internet are vertices of a graph, and the hyperlinks are edges. can i assign some weight to some pages that have theoretically no (practically no or very few) incoming edges so that the most visited pages when they are visited with links from the less frequently visited pages accumulate some weight, and this weight will eventually used in support with web crawler for profiling internet search results. this is the very high level description to a problem that our research group with some researchers from google is taking interest.

this is one of the ultra advanced problems of search engine design that is still properly unsolved. you have been telling about web technology, having some advanced learning on it, here you go my son Smile this problem is essentially a graph problem, still unsolved.

i know you are not in a position to make valid comments on how the masters should be because you dont have the knowledge and exposure of that. however i am sending this discourse to you so that you know the development of the process and raise questions if you have. so keep reading the chain, try to come up with ideas, ask questions... don't hesitate whether your questions are valid/invalid.. keep suggesting and asking. we can rectify you if you have any wrong perception.

concerning how equipped IIT is in terms of facilities and what equipment you need for your masters - let me confirm you that its nothing more than a computer you need. in most of the research of CS/IT/SE even here in this part of the world most of the people doing research needs nothing more than computers for their research. So it is a good software lab that you need for a masters, thats it.. feel sure.

keep asking, suggesting. without having the fear of not being capable or intallectual enough.

-k

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by S M Khaled on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XViCOAu6UC0&feature=player_embedded

S M Khaled
Alpha Release
Alpha Release